The Vigilance Bureau of Jharkhand is certainly caught in the web of political and bureaucratic maze besides many a roadblock, when it comes to dealing with the widespread corruption cases and scams in the state.
Talking to media-personnel, I.G. (Inspector General) Vigilance Bureau, M.V. Rao shared the plight of his department, namely,
- Huge shortage of D.S.P. (Deputy Superintendent of Police) ranking officials in the department. Against the sanctioned strength of 24 D.S.Ps., they have only 15 D.S.Ps, out of which 6 are going to retire in coming months. Even the repeated reminders in last couple of years have not helped so far to get the sanctioned police personnel.
- Non-cooperation from the other Government Departments, when Vigilance Bureau asks for relevant documents for the probe.
- When they ask about the posting of accused from the concerned Government Departments, the departments don’t tell them.
- For the execution of warrants, they have to depend on the respective Police Stations, but they do not take note of their cases.
In Jharkhand, fighting corruption is no easy-task and it seems that the Vigilance Bureau have their hands tied behind their back.
Let us have a look at the status of few of the pending Vigilance cases:
|11/2000||Illegal appointment in PHED||PHED Department have not shared the files.|
|05,06/04||Medicine Scam in Dhanbad||Accused is absconding.|
|18,19,20/04||Medicine Scams in Dumka and Pakur||Pertinent documents not handed over.|
|11/09||Disproportionate assets and scam cases||Former Minister Nalin Soren being investigated|
|20/09||Ranchi Region Development Authority (RRDA) Map Scam||Investigation is still going on.|
According to sources, in last couple of years about 350 corruption cases were referred to the under-staffed Vigilance Bureau for investigation. Rather curiously, at the same time, these forwarded cases are also being investigated by the concerned District Police Authorities.
- In JPSC Scam case, besides Vigilance Bureau, Ranchi District Police too lodged cases against JPSC Secretary Alice Usha Rani and
- In Deoghar Land Scam case, both Vigilance Bureau and Deoghar District Police have filed separate set of cases.
With two independent authorities investigating these cases and filing their separate charge-sheets in their respective courts, viz., Special Vigilance Courts and District Courts; needless to state this has led to the peculiar situation, and the accused are reaping the benefits.
The legal experts pointed out that sometimes the accused themselves takes initiative and use their influence to get cases filed against themselves in the respective Districts. As these dual investigations actually help the accused to play one against another investigation authority and reap the benefits.
- Firstly, if the investigation undertaken by two independent authorities reach two diverse opinions then the accused gain.
- Secondly, if the one court grants a bail or even acquit the accused then the accused can use these for the legal defence in other court.
- Thirdly, if the accused has once been tried, sentenced or acquitted in a case then the accused can’t be tried for same offence again.
- Lastly, such kind of unnecessary bureaucratic-turf-wars over same cases derails the investigation, thereby helping the accused.
It appears that the ruling elite in Jharkhand have really muddied the water when it comes to dealing with the plethora of the corruption cases floating around in the state. With confused minds and equally baffled actions, they are really derailing the ongoing investigations and subsequent judicial actions in various cases.
So what is the way out of this mess of ongoing dual investigations?
According to the senior police experts, the concerned District S.P. (Superintendent of Police) should transfer all such dual cases to the Vigilance Bureau, after taken necessary direction from the D.G.P. (Director General of Police) of state.
But the few big questions the still remain,
- Whether the vested interest would allow the above mentioned solution and put an end to dual investigations?
- Whether Vigilance Cases would be accorded the due priority by the ruling elite in the Jharkhand Government?
- Whether the beleaguered Vigilance Bureau would get much-needed helping hands from various departments?
- Whether the present BJP-JMM-AJSU Coalition Government has it in them to fight the menace of monstrous corruption?
Given the past and present record of the State Government, we are not really optimistic about the pace of investigation and conviction in the numerous corruption cases and scams that afflicts Jharkhand.
Latest posts by Team Focus (see all)
- 9 जून, साल 1900, राँची की जेल में भगवान बिरसा मुंडा - June 10, 2017
- Did You Sign This Online Petition Against Amendments To CNT and SPT Acts? - March 26, 2017
- News-makers From Jharkhand For The Year 2016 - December 29, 2016