Today the sentiments of common Jharkhandi denizens have hit the rock-bottom; with each passing day, fresh scams come to surface and the local newspapers reports on the daily happenings of our state paint quite a bleak picture of Jharkhand. For instance, in Jharkhand one could find these problem areas in abundance,
- Land and other Scams: Many landowners across the state are protesting against the forcible and fraudulent takeover of their lands. Even the large tracts of government lands (Gair-majoorua lands) in major cities of Jharkhand (including Ranchi) have been traded-off. We are not getting into details of many other scams.
- Illegal and Ecological Disaster Type of Mining: Unmindful of loss of exchequer by royalty the illegal mining continues unabated. Also one has to visit the various mining towns to see for themselves the devastating impact on ecology, viz., flora, fauna and people alike. Even our lush green forest cover and clean rivers have disappeared.
- Unmanageable Corruption: Almost every department and every aspect of Government functioning is afflicted with corruption; where only the people with either political power or financial muscle can thrive and prosper. Even the non-governmental sectors have been weighed down by corruption in Jharkhand; like, Non-Government Organizations working on non-profit basis (cases of financial irregularities by NGOs), Press-people (cases of planted and paid news), Business-persons (cheating, black-marketing and adulteration cases), etc., we have quoted only a few examples.
- Rising Unemployment: Despite so many vacancies in administrative jobs, education, health, police-force, etc. the Government has failed miserably to fill these vacancies in time-bound and honest manner. Besides, the much promised Business Investment (MOUs worth lakh of Rupees were signed) has not really rolled in the state.
- Maoism is on the rise: With the discontent and pessimism setting in among the common people, their disgruntled and misdirected anger is somehow helping the idea of Maoism to spreading its influence all across the state. While the state government still seems to be caught in two minds and seem to be clueless on how to tackle the growing tentacles of Maoism. The killing of innocent common people and the foot-soldiers of Police-force on regular basis is grim reminder of the deteriorating conditions in the state.
The picture certainly is depressing in Jharkhand. Only question is how bad it can get, before things start to improve here for commoners.
But why common Jharkhandi people continue to suffer, while we hit the rock-bottom? We could think of the following reasons.
1. Maybe people are satisfied with the State Government and pace of development in their domicile areas and in Jharkhand state?
If your answer to the above statement is big YES, then why don’t you share the details of development undertaken in your areas in our comment sections, with all the necessary details of the same?
Although, we believe that the answer to the above statement is big NO, the growing instances of usual protests (Dharna, Pradarshan, Gherao, Hartaal, etc.) by the commoners and also the steep rise in armed Maoism insurrection against the government; these occurrences do point towards the ever growing disenchantment and unrest among the people in general, towards the issue of poor-governance in Jharkhand.
2. Maybe the popular Civil Society Movements have failed to tap into the popular discontent, as they have failed to take off here?
In the recent past, most of the protests by the aggrieved sections (displaced landowners, farmers, students, fruit-sellers, labourers, shopkeepers, etc.) of society have failed to garner and attract popular support by common people of Jharkhand. They have remained confined to their narrow support base of the aggrieved sections and lack the swelling of numbers to make people think.
3. Maybe local People Movements have not been able to attract the necessary media attention even at the state level?
The majority of local media has either ignored such protests or taken pro-government stand by slamming such protests by highlighting the inconvenience caused to the common people, while keeping mum on WHYs and WHATs of such protests. With a result, the Civil Society Movements have failed to take off in Jharkhand in last decade or so.
The leaders of such movement should try and braoden their support base, besides educated commoners and local media would do well to support the just cause of the people who have suffered due to misdeeds of others. As at the end of day the numbers do matter, when it comes to a People Movement fighting for a cause, to get justice in their respective cases.
4. Maybe the narrower self-interest has taken priority over the collective good of most of the common people?
But why do common people (mainly educated middle-class Jharkhandis) do not empathize and sympathize with the plights of economic weaker sections of society, who are worse affected by the shortcomings of a poorly performing government. Because, as we go up the economic ladder in our society, we find that the people in the higher echelon are increasingly becoming less and less dependent on the Government in day-to-day affairs of Education-facilities, Employment-opportunities, Health-services, etc. These economically creamy layers have tried to become self-reliant; for example, they drive bulky vehicles to take care of pot-holed roads, use generators to beat frequent power cuts, etc. It is the poor and economically weaker sections who bear the brunt.
No doubt, given their self-interest the economically stronger sections of our society have not supported the aggrieved sections of society.
5. Maybe politicians have successfully used “Divide and Rule Policies” in Jharkhand to quell any type of popular discontent?
When we move from urban areas to rural areas, we increasingly and more prominently find that common people have been divided into distinct political parties’ groups. Many common people are divided into Party-A, Party-B, Party-C, Party-D, etc.
Suppose we are sympathizer or supporter or belong to Party-A. Now assume Party-A is ruling the state and its leaders are indulging in corruption. But we would continue of ignore, be indifferent and sometimes even the acts of corrupt leaders of Party-A. Regardless of their corrupt ways, we would again vote them in power.
Thus in Jharkhand, the political affiliations to various parties and their respective supporters have become blind towards the misdeeds of their political leaders belonging to their respective parties with distressing results for all the citizens of Jharkhand.
So we have peculiar situation in Jharkhand.
But we all need to find its solution sooner, rather than later.
Latest posts by Team Focus (see all)
- 9 जून, साल 1900, राँची की जेल में भगवान बिरसा मुंडा - June 10, 2017
- Did You Sign This Online Petition Against Amendments To CNT and SPT Acts? - March 26, 2017
- News-makers From Jharkhand For The Year 2016 - December 29, 2016